Carsphairn Archive

Communion

Photo_344.JPG

When churches were first built no seats were provided for the worshippers and they were expected to sit on the earthern floor. On a Communion Sunday the area in the middle was reserved for the celebration of Holy Communion and tables were erected with whit cloths and around them a paling was erected to such a height that it was a barrier to all those who were regarded as undesirbale. In some records "fence" really meant "flakes" uses by farmers. At each end of the table door were erected and at each door an elder stood to collect the communion tokens which were issued to each member on entry to the church.

Elders were very strict about who could enter the table and sometimes even those who were not allowed in if they had not listened to all the usual preliminary prayers and praise. Services could last for hours, as the numbers of communicants was very high.

During the 19th and early 20th centuries, many more people lived and worked in Carsphairn. Communion services were better attended, making it necessary to have different ‘sittings’ round the central communion table. The table holds 36 at each sitting and it was not uncommon ot have 6 sittings!

DI_240.jpg

An extract from the Carsphairn Parish Magazine in 1953 stated,

‘Throughout the year 1952, the number attending those services was remarkable. 155 from a roll of 165 attended one communion service. A record of which we may be proud’.

Today, we celebrate communion three times a year and during our July celebration held on the third Sunday of the month, we use the central table as they did generations ago. We do not use tokens but the practice of the ‘sittings’ is adhered to, just as it was in previous times.

Misc_119.pdf

The preparation that a minister had to undertake for the service of Holy Comminion was lenghty. Sermons had ot be prepared for the fast day and in the school log book for Carsphairn, it was note dthat the school had a day off for the fast day. A concluding sermon had to be given and another sermon prepared for the Thanksgiving Service on the Monday.

Little is known of this particular table. Before 1990 it had not been used within living memory. Indeed, some older people remember it being used in th 1920s and 1930s in a different way. Many of the male population of the village were involved in farming, particularly shepherding and the central pen was sometimes used to house the shepherds’ dogs during the service.

In 1931 at a Kirk Session Reverend Wilfrid Sievewright informed the Session that following the recommendation of the General Assembly he had diluted the wine for communion.

Photo_1322.jpg

Communion Cups

We have two silver communion cups, both with the following inscription on them:

FOR + THE + KIRK + OF + CARSPHAIRN + 1647

Photo_1323.jpg

Not much is known about these two cups as there are no Kirk Session records for that time. They bear the Edinburgh hall mark, along with the initials of the maker, Jon Scott. The cups are not on display in church because of their great value but are used during our communion services. When not in use, the Communion cups are kept by the Bank of Scotland for safe keeping.

DI_245.jpg

Currently on the table, there are two wooden plates carved and gifted by Bill Wiseman in 2000.

DI_246.jpg

One has CPC 1640 engraved on it, and the other CPC 1990.

DI_247.jpg

Other items on the table include two pewter flagons and salvers; a brown pottery communion cup with ‘Christfest 2004’ on the base and the name of the pottery.

DI_248.jpg

Two wooden collection ladles with long handles, also on the table, are still used weekly to take the collection.