Back: This watercolour of Carsphairn (Circa 1955) was painted by H.C. Morley. It was commissioned by Mrs Ida Hay Buchanan as a gift to her some Kenneth who was residing in Southern Rhodesia. Presented to the Carsphairn Heritage Centre by Joan and Kenneth Buchanan in memory of his mother IDA HAY BUCHANAN (born Macmillan) who was born in Carsphairn in 1885, educated at Carsphairn School and was appointed Head Teacher in 1943. She retired in 1950 and lived in Carsphairn until 1968. She died in Ayr in 1970.
Label : "This "drinking utensil?", donated to Carsphairn Heritage Group, belonged to Sir Robert Grierson of Lagg. He was responsible for the persecution of the Covenanters in this area from 1660 to 1685. His headquarters were at Garryhorn Farm which can be seen from outside the Centre. From there he directed operations that resulted in the deaths of several local Covenanters, including John Dempster."