The Diana Lawrence Collection

Title

The Diana Lawrence Collection

Description

Diana Lawrence, or Di to her friends was born in Glasgow in 1911. She lived most of her life in Carsphairn; attended the village school and later, with her sister Helen, took over the running of the village shop from their Mother.

Di retired as shopkeeper in 1973 and lived the remainder of her years at The Knowe (a large white house at the North end of the village – formerly the Manse House for the United Free Church of Scotland). On her retirement residents of the village kindly donated a garden bench with a commemorative plaque to The Lawrence Family to mark the lengthy service their family had given to the community.

Di was a keen photographer and collector of memorabilia and curios. During her lifetime she meticulously collected, arranged and labelled many photographs and newspaper clippings and displayed them in several albums, each recording important events, familiar people and places that she had come to know and cherish throughout her many years living and working in Carsphairn.

This exhibition is a digital representation of her precious collection. These albums were donated to Carsphairn Heritage Group in 2006 by Di herself. She had obviously decided that they were of local cultural importance and they should be shared with other interested parties.

Di sadly passed away in 2011.

Carsphairn Heritage Group is extremely grateful that the ‘Di Lawrence Collection’ now forms part of this online archive, safe in the knowledge that Di’s wishes; to share her precious collection with the world, are being fulfilled.

NB: All colour photos have been anonymised for privacy protection.

Contributor

LA

Publisher

CHG

Collection Items

Album of newspaper clippings (patterned)
Taken from The Diana Lawrence Collection
View all 6 items