Milroy Family History



Milroy Family History


Peter Milroy and his wife and nine children came to the village when he was appointed as policeman in the early1890s. The family played a big part in village life for the next 30 years or so.

Some of the boys were very keen sportsmen as they took part in carpet bowling tournaments, cricket and sports days as is seen in the extracts from the local newspapers. In the family trees there are connections to other parish families, the McCraes and the Bells.

The family belonged to the United Free Church opened in the village in 1893 and there is a photograph of the opening ceremony in which several members of the family are identified as well as ones of other family members.

There is a family grave in the Kirkyard. The inscription and site of the grave can be found from looking the catalogue and plan of gravestones in Carsphairn Kirkyard which is available here.





Original Format

A4 folder



IS, “Milroy Family History,” Carsphairn Archive, accessed October 21, 2020,