Carsphairn Archive

Woodhead Mine 1890s

Item

PC_117.jpg
PC_117B.jpg

Title

Woodhead Mine 1890s

Description

From the road to the mine this sepia photo shows the layout of the mine. The nearest buildings are the smelter houses and assay office with the water wheel behind. Then the waste heaps, or byngs, with the schoolhouse just visible behind the centre of the largest one. Then come two rows of miner's cottage uphill from the schoolhouse with the magazine a very small white building in isolation behind them and finally Office Row behind the row of trees at the top. The mine manager's house, a smithy etc were among these buildings. Lead ceased to be mined in 1873 and by the 1890s the population of the community had shrunk to just sixteen. See Heritage Trail 3

Identifier

PC_117

Publisher

Produced by Carsphairn Heritage Group

Collection

Citation

DAC, “Woodhead Mine 1890s,” Carsphairn Archive, accessed July 12, 2024, http://carsphairn.org/CarsphairnArchive/items/show/3387.